Founded in 1998, the Travel Health Insurance Association (THIA) is the national organization representing travel insurers, brokers, underwriters, re-insurers, emergency assistance companies, air ambulance companies and allied services in the travel insurance field. THiA is the leading voice of the travel insurance industry in Canada and is engaged in public education and issues relating to regulatory affairs and member communications.
Our committee structure allows for participation on a regular basis on issues relating to regulatory affairs, public education and communicating our message to stakeholders who regulate, purchase and report on experiences with the programs offered by our membership. There are also opportunities to share our expertise through online seminars and continuing education sessions at our Annual General Meetings and our annual conferences.
The travel insurance industry is a dynamic environment and THIA is at an exciting point in its evolution, having recently finalized the strategic direction for the coming years. Beyond our vision, we have also developed several Strategic Imperatives to help guide our resource allocation. The four strategic imperatives are: to raise the profile of THIA; to promote the value of travel insurance; to drive the value of membership and; to invest in key relationships. These items have been identified as key areas of focus in achieving our vision.
THIA's Executive Board
- President - Michael Camacho, CSI Brokers Inc.
- Vice President - Elliott Draga, Nordic Insurance Software
- Treasurer - Patrick Charbonneau, Optimum Reassurance Inc.
- Secretary - Annelaure Masson, TuGo
- Cassandra Timms, Old Republic Canada
- Janet Pacini Thibodeau - Manulife
- Dan Keon - Allianz Global Assistance
- Kim Connor, Global Excel Management
THIA Committees & Committee Chairs
- Claims Committee - Cassandra Timms, Old Republic Canada / Gilbert Gaudet, CanAssistance
- Conference Committee - David Ewing, Jackson Health System / Warren Brown, World Travel Protection
- Education Committee - Cathy Nurmi, TuGo
- Regulatory Affairs Committee - Sean McGurran, Zurich Insurance
- Innovation Lab - Will McAleer
- Membership & Communications Committee - Helen Cosburn, Allianz Global Assistance