Immunization and COVID Policy
The health and safety of our THIA members, speakers, attendees and travelling companions attending the Travel Health Insurance Association conference in Cancun in April 2022 is critical. This also aligns with reducing the risk of spreading COVID for all hotel staff, guests, and local residents.
THIA’s position will maintain alignment with the following as published by the government of Canada at the time of our conference:
- Definition of fully vaccinated; and
- Vaccination and testing requirements for travellers entering or returning to Canada.
- THIA will require all those who attend or travel to this conference with an attendee to be fully vaccinated as defined by the Canadian government at the time of registering and maintain full vaccination status (e.g. booster requirement) at the time of the conference.
- Proof of vaccination will be required at time of registration for the conference and when arriving at the conference.
- You will be denied entry to all conference activities if you fail to provide proof of vaccination when you register at the conference in Cancun and no refund will be granted.
- THIA attendees will be subject to the regulations imposed by Mexico and the state governments.
- The wearing of masks will be required at all THIA events. THIA will have complimentary masks available for attendees at the registration desk and in the conference areas.
- Socially distanced expo tables and seating will be provided for networking and educational sessions.
- Those who attend the conference or are travelling with conference attendees are expected to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID. If any sign or symptom of COVID is experienced the individuals and those sharing same accommodation are expected to:
- Self-isolate in their hotel room,
- Seek medical attention as needed,
- Obtain a COVID test and re-test if required.
If individuals do test positive for COVID, compliance with local public health guidance and laws is required.
At this time, fully vaccinated in Canada means having received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines for use in Canada and the last dose more than 15 days prior to the conference. THIA’s policy for those who attend the conference or travel with an attendee will follow the Canadian government definition of fully vaccinated that may evolve over time.
The rules for travel to Mexico, including current health requirements, and the Tourist Card application can be found here:
Hand sanitizing stations will be plentiful in all public spaces at the hotel.
By registering for and/or attending at a Travel Health Insurance Association (THIA) in-person event, you assume all risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death to you or your guest/attendee/travelling companion), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that you or your guest/attendee/travelling com panion may experience or incur in connection with attending the event. Attendee hereby releases, covenants not to sue, discharges, and holds harmless THIA, its directors, officers, executive, Conference Committee, conference attendees, members, speakers, conference sponsors, agents, and representatives, of and from any such claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. attendance is governed by the laws of ontario.
Specifically relating to the global COVID-19 pandemic, you, your guest/attendee/travelling companion acknowledge the highly contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assumes the risk of exposure or infection by attending a THIA event, and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, disability, and/or death to you, your guest/attendee/travelling companion, and further understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at the event may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of others who may attend the event or their families, colleagues, or others with whom they may have contact.
In addition to all other rules and regulations relating to the attendance at THIA events, you, your guest/attendee/travelling companion agree to comply with all COVID-related procedures that may be implemented by THIA and the jurisdiction and venue in which the event is held, including, but not limited to, mask-wearing and social distancing requirements and restrictions on certain activities that carry higher COVID-related risk, in order to protect as much as possible the health and safety of all THIA attendees.