Industry News > COVID-19 Update
The Travel Health Insurance Association (THIA) is monitoring developments regarding COVID-19 and its impact on travel habits and our industry. At this time, the Government of Canada has issued travel notices for seven regions (China, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Northern Italy, Singapore and South Korea).
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for Canada and the risk to Canadian travellers abroad is generally low but will vary depending on the destination.
Canadians who travel are advised to take steps that are best practices for any trip: be aware that there are always health risks to travel and check your destination to know those risks and be prepared.
To limit the spread of the virus, the Government of Canada recommends that you:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- stay home if you are sick
- cover your mouth and nose with your arm or tissues when coughing or sneezing, immediately dispose of any tissues you have used, and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
As important developments arise, we will communicate further with THIA members