Industry News > INDUSTRY NEWS RELEASE - Ontario Introduces Electronic Submission for Out-of-Country Claims and Supporting Documentation
INDUSTRY NEWS RELEASE - Ontario Introduces Electronic Submission for Out-of-Country Claims and Supporting Documentation
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is pleased to announce an exciting new opportunity for Registered Third Party Billing Agencies (RTPBAs). All existing RTPBAs are being presented with the option to submit Out-of-Country (OOC) claims and supporting documentation electronically using the ministry's electronic business services. The electronic submission process consists of two services: the Medical Claims Electronic Data Transfer (MC EDT) for submitting the OOC claims, and the eSubmit service for submitting the supporting documentation (manual reviews) and remittance advice inquiries RAls).
The MC EDT and eSubmit systems are secure web-based services that allow Ontario health care providers, and now RTPBAs, to electronically submit their claims and supporting documentation for processing in Ontario.
The MC EDT and eSubmit services allow:
- Secure user authentication;
- Secure electronic transfer of OOC claims and supporting documentation;
- Designation to administrative staff or third party agents to submit and reconcile claims;
- Electronic reporting (Claims Error Reports, Remittance Advice Reports);
- Electronic responses to ministry requests for additional information;
- Submission of Remittance Advice Inquiries (RAls).
The MC EDT and eSubmit systems are up and running 24/7 ( except a few short scheduled maintenance times each week).
The advantages of electronic submission are:
- Secure electronic channel with user authentication to better protect confidential personal health information during claims and supporting documentation submission;
- Reduced administrative burden and expenses associated with manual paper claims processing and submission;
- Software can perform validation on data entry fields automatically to identify and reduce potential errors prior to submission;
- Faster claims submission times from submitter to assessor which results in reduction in claims processing turnaround and payment time frame;
- Reduction of postage, supplies and mailing expenditures.
If you are interested in registering for electronic submission of OOC claims and supporting documentation, or you have any questions or require further information, please contact Randy Riddell at
(613) 548-6578 or Randy.Riddell@ontario.ca.