Tips and Updates about Travel Health Insurance > IMPORTANT NOTICE: Canadians Urged to Return Home
This is an important message for Canadians who are currently travelling abroad.
The Government of Canada is strongly urging all Canadians to return home immediately. This is an unprecedented order to protect your health. Given the current and constantly evolving COVID-19 situation throughout the world, the member companies of the Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada (THIA) strongly advise all Canadians currently abroad to follow the Government of Canada’s recommendation to return to Canada as soon as possible. Not taking all of the necessary measures that are presently available to return to Canada could have a negative impact on your health and on your insurance coverage.
- By delaying your return, transportation options could become even more limited or non-existent and you will put yourself at greater risk staying abroad.
- The health care system in many countries is expected to experience a dramatic increase in demand and may not be able to give you any health care if needed as citizens will receive care priority.
- In addition, your insurance company may not be able to give you assistance or any service outside Canada.
- During this unprecedented time, your assistance/insurance company may not be able to repatriate you since the border will be closed and Canadian health facilities, which are similarly expected to see a dramatic rise in care demands, will prioritize citizens already in country.
- If your policy contains an exclusion related to any government advisory, your coverage might be limited or excluded in the future.
- If you are not certain about your coverage, please contact your insurance company at the numbers provided in you policy.
Please follow the Canadian Government’s advisories and recommendation to avoid all non-essential travel and to repatriate as soon as possible. You can find the advisories here: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories. Reimbursement options may be available on your travel emergency medical policy, airline or government services, if you return earlier than your scheduled dates.
THIA members are dedicated to providing services and coverage to support all travelling Canadians. You can find information about how to be a smart traveller on THIA’s website: www.thiaonline.com/consumer-resources.html.